Christmas Tree Collection

Trees are collected during regular trash pick up through mid-January.


The DPW will answer your questions regarding:

  • Street signs
  • Debris along City streets and right-of-way areas
  • Fire hydrants - both public and private (The City offers a private property maintenance contract)
  • Grading and dust control of City dirt roads
  • Street sweeping
  • Pavement line marking
  • Surface maintenance and drainage on City streets

Glenwood Cemetery

The City of Wayne owns Glenwood Cemetery, located on Glenwood Road, west of Venoy Road For information contact 734-721-8600.Glenwood Cemetery

Private Property

For questions or complaints involving private property or a possible ordinance violation, please call the City of Wayne Ordinance Department at 734-728-9100.

Recycling Center

The Recycling Center is located just west of the DPW Office next to the Animal Shelter. It's open Monday through Friday from 7 am to 3:30 pm except for holidays. Acceptable Items: newspapers, glass, tin, aluminum, batteries, and plastics. By law, the City can not accept motor oil.

RefuseGarbage Truck

Call Republic Waste for special pickup of bulk items at 800-878-4626. Acceptable items at the curbside are all appliances, including stoves, washers, dryers, hot water tanks, dishwashers, etc.. which are picked up at the curb on collection day. Refrigerators must have their doors taken off.

Not Accepted at Curbside

These items are not acceptable for curbside pick up:

  • Hazardous materials such as drugs, chemicals, medical waste, explosives, etc.
  • Construction and demolition materials
  • Tree stumps weighing over 50 lbs
  • Car parts

Acceptable Receptacles

The following size for metal, plastic, fiberglass, etc. is 5 to 30 gallons. All receptacles must have handles and tightly fitting covers. Plastic refuse bags, for garbage only, must have a capacity of a minimum of 10 gallons through a maximum of 30 gallons. The weight maximum is 50 pounds.

Non-acceptable Receptacles

Paper shopping bags and cardboard containers are prohibited.

Refuse Collection Schedule

Your refuse will be collected according to the City's established schedule. Your scheduled pick-up day will change as a result of one of the following holidays: New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. If your regular day happens to fall on one of those holidays, your refuse will be collected on the day following the holiday. View the Refuse Pickup Schedule Map (PDF).

Yard Waste

Yard waste is collected on regular collection days beginning the week of April 1st and continuing through the week of December 15th. Yard waste is grass clippings, leaves, very small twigs, potting soil, garden fruits and vegetables, and old flowers. Yard waste can no longer be placed in plastic bags.

Here's what you should do:

  • Separate yard waste from regular trash by about 10 feet
  • Mark the yard waste containers with "Yard Waste" stickers. The stickers are available at City Hall or the DPW.
  • Cut branches into 3 feet lengths and tie them into bundles that weigh no more than 50 lbs. each.

Sewer Problems

If you have a sewer-related problem, call DPW during normal hours. If you spot the problem on a holiday, the weekend, or after normal business hours, please contact the Police Department at 734-721-1414. DPW personnel determine if the problem is in your sewer line or the City's sewer main and counsel you regarding your options.

Snow Removal

If the City has a snowfall of 4 in. or more, residents are asked not to park on public streets. You will be notified via the general media when the snow emergency is over and street parking is once again allowed. The DPW clears major roads first, then residential streets, dead-end streets, and cul de sac areas.


Residents can report streetlight outages directly to DTE via their website or contact the Public Works Department at 734-721-8600


The City of Wayne has been designated as an official Tree City USA. Contact the DPW for more information. City trees are normally trimmed as part of a routine maintenance schedule and upon request, by either DPW personnel or a contractor under DPW supervision. Trees are only removed if they are dead, dying, diseased or dangerous. Trees are not removed due to root damage to sidewalks, yards, or sewer lines. DTE Energy periodically does tree trimming for line clearance. View their website for more information.

Water Billing

If you have a concern about your water bill, contact the Water Billing Clerk at 734-722-2005.

Water Leaks

Please report water main breaks or water leaks to the DPW. If you discover a break after normal business hours, on holidays, or the weekend, please call the Police Department at 734-721-1414.

Other Services Provided by Utility Companies

If you can't resolve a problem with your video/cable company directly, call the Michigan Public Service Commission at 866-552-7725.

Excavating / Call Miss Dig

By law, anyone excavating must call Miss Dig so that existing utilities can be located. The number is 800-482-7171, and there is no charge for the service.

Gas Leaks

If you smell gas in or around your home, call 911 and report it to the Wayne Fire Department.